First of all we must say, that creating a HTML template for Email with MS-Publisher is not the best choice. This question is often asked, so here comes a small instruction how it can be done. A better choice will be using a real Html-Editor such as MS-Frontpage or Dreamweaver.
This document is related to MS-Publisher 2007. (Some menu titles are translated from german and could spell slightly different)
1. Convert your publisher Project into a web project:
select menu File->Convert to web-publication
Follow the instructions, do not create a navigation bar
2. Choose Extras->Design Detective
Check all options in the new pane and analyse problems. Especially when text is converted to image, when
- a special font was used
- some areas in the design are overlapping
Improve the layout so that no more problems are shown
3. Convert to HTML-Version, that is good enough to be sent as email
Unfortunately, there is no such menu in Publisher.
Here is the trick:
- Select menu File->Send Email->Email Preview
This opens the web-browser with a document in the windows temp-folder.
Again, check if any text was converted to image. Try to mark single words in your web-browser. If you can, everything is fine. If not, the text was converted to an image. Close your web-browser and redesign your layout.
4. If the HTML looks good in the browser, export it to a new directory:
- Create a new folder on your hard drive
- in MS InternetExplorer, select menu File->Save As..
- Select Option to save as "Webpage, complete"
- Save to your newly created folder
5. Now open BulkMailer and
- select Email->New email (Html)
- Email->Load Webpage from File
- select the above saved HTML file.
This all may work good for you, but all at all it is much better to use a real HTML editor and to have all the skills needed. Maybe this would be a good task for your web-designer.